The InnerCHANGE team in Minneapolis is located in the Phillips neighborhood (near the south side). Historically, this neighborhood has been home to both the city’s native and immigrant poor as well as some of the city’s wealthiest families.
Today, as the largest neighborhood in Minneapolis, Phillips continues to be home to a rich diversity of cultures that include Native Americans, African Americans, Somali (the largest population in the U.S.), Latino (over 500% growth since 1990) and a wide variety of immigrant families, which represent over 100 languages. It is a neighborhood that has experienced rapid change in recent years.
Because Phillips has historically been one of the most impoverished neighborhoods in Minneapolis, there exist a number of social service agencies whose aim is to meet the many and varied needs of the neighborhood. However, even though many material needs can be met through these agencies and a wide variety of assets existing in the neighborhood, what is often missing for those on the margins are long-term, stable, healthy relationships with those who are willing to share life together. Our priority as an InnerCHANGE team since we began in 1995, has been to foster these kinds of relationships centered on our commitment to love and follow Jesus.
Over the years, our team’s ministry has found many different expressions. As we pursue holistic discipleship in our own lives, we offer our gifts, skills, and passions in service to Jesus and to our neighbors. In our words and in our deeds, we hope to proclaim the good news of Jesus and invite others into the transforming, reconciling love of God.
Currently, these ministry expressions include:
- Personal and corporate rhythms of spiritual formation, ministry, and prayer
- Youth ministry through coaching, tutoring, and mentoring
- Developing a nonprofit coffee organization that creates employment and cultivates life skills with youth experiencing homelessness.
- Neighboring and walking alongside vulnerable families
- Partnership with other ministries involved with anti-trafficking, affordable housing, education, refugee resettlement, addiction recovery, and discipleship.
- Using our hands to bless people with creative woodworking and pottery projects, and through carpentry work.
- Bible studies and expressions of simple church
- Strategically collaborating with others who share a vision of pursuing a movement of disciples among the poor
- Mentoring emerging ministry leaders and equipping others in disciple-making movements
Joining this team would begin a journey of formation into the values of InnerCHANGE and the mission that God might be uniquely inviting you into as a neighbor in Phillips.